The Independent State of Samoa has partnered with the Blue Prosperity Coalition and Conservation International to protect 30% of its ocean area and support the implementation of the Samoa Ocean Strategy. The SOS will continue to build partnerships with local, regional and international partners to accomplish the complex tasks outlined in the SOS for the protection of Samoa’s ocean and building sustainable blue economies.
The National Ocean Steering Committee (NOSC) is established to provide high level advisory role and decision making in the coordination and implementation of all thematic areas and integrated management solutions for the SOS.
1. Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment (MNRE)
2. Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT)
3. Ministry of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
4. Ministry of Works, Transport and Infrastructure (MWTI)
5. Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF)
6. Office of the Attorney General (OAG)
7. Ministry of Police (MOP)
8. Samoa Umbrella for Non-Governmental Organisations (SUNGO)
A body or agency who is not a NOSC member may be represented at the meeting by observers who shall have the right to participate in an advisory role in the plenary sessions, but not to engage in any decision making.
1. National University of Samoa (NUS)
2. Conservation International (CI)
3. Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP)
The NOSC is supported by two Working Groups composed of technical officials of Ministries, inter-governmental and non-governmental agencies approved by the NOSC to provide technical support to inform the coordination and implementation of the Strategy on the ground.
Governance and Policies Working Group
Supports Integrated Management Solutions numbers 1, 3, 6, 9, 11
Co-Chairs – ACEO MPMC and MNRE
Membership: MNRE, MFAT, MPMC, MWTI, MAF, MOF, STA, CI, SPREP
Technical Working Group
Supports Integrated Management Solutions numbers 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13
Co-Chairs – ACEO MAF and NUS
Membership: MESC, MWTI, MCIT, NUS, MNRE, MAF, MFAT, STA, MWCSD, FESA, CI, SPREP